Saturday, July 05, 2008

madame chiang kai-shek

Father: Guess what Madame Chiang Kai-Shek ate every day for breakfast.
Daughter: I'm trying to study my flashcards.
Father: Two pieces of toast. Then high-fiber...then a high-fiber glass of juice. Then yogurt. Yogurt with fruit strips. Strips of fruit. Then sunnies. Sunny-side up eggs. Two eggs. (Notices flashcards) Oh! You're studying! You're going to fail the bar. Shhh, shhh. Sorry.

(a pause)

Father: [in Chinese] Zhen liao bu chi. Zhen liao bu chi. [back to English] I am so proud of her. I am so proud of her. She lived to be 100.
Mother: 106.
Father: She gave speeches until she was 99.
Mother: Have you heard her speeches?
Father: I am really, really proud of her.

(Daughter continues memorizing elements of negligent misrepresentation.)

Father: I forgot to say, also almond tea. Can you believe Japanese people put all of their chopsticks in the same bowl?
Mother: Zhen lan.

No comments: