Saturday, December 31, 2005

WHOA

Way too much to write about here, including the last three hours of intense debating (think shouting, finger pointing, uproarious out-of-place laughter, a half hour hiatus during which I delivered the silent treatment by listening to Elvis Costello on my headphones very loudly) with my dad and brother about, among other things, transgender people, homosexuality, paternalism, postmodernism, making assumptions, the duties of the fortunate to the less fortunate, fundamentalist Christians/Muslims, whether or not it's sad that someone decides to drop out of Harvard and pursue plumbing as an occupation [this debate was all spurred by my dad's paternalistic pity for one my friends, which surfaced when my mom talked about said friend's recent f-to-m transition] - my dad is a kind-hearted, tolerant man who manages to say things in the weirdest possible way, not as a result of ESL or any immigration-related traumas but because his paranoiac/dreamer's mind produces the most brilliantly tortured metaphors and all manners of camouflaged insight -

Yeah, there's a lot to write about, and I might write about it later tonight. Tahoe, Reno, Vegas, Barstow, all that plus a sack of hangovers. But now, I need to stuff my belongings into a few well-chosen satchels and ready myself for the long overdue flight back to New York. Climbing back in the chyrsalis, oy.

No comments: