Monday, December 19, 2005

Early warning signs from a vocabulary assignment from freshman year of high school (October 25, 1994)

disapprobation-36,12-disapproval
After incinerating our house, my parents spoke to me with slight disapprobation.

auspicious-37,1-promising a good outcome, favorable
After burning the house down, I don’t think the chances of my parents buying me a fancy car are auspicious.

arbitratary-42,3-to act according to one’s discretion
I arbitrarily burnt down the house.

parceled-43,13-distribute
I parceled out candy on Halloween in our burnt house.

benign-46,4-kind, gentle
Mr. Thompson could hardly be called benign, since he placed needles in my Halloween candy.

hitherto-47,5-up to this time
Our house had hitherto been painted white.

edification-54,4-to instruct, or benefit morally
Besides instructing me in property value, I don’t think burning down the house proved to be too edifying.

vigil-67,3-remaining awake at night, especially to keep watch or pray
I held a vigil last night to commemorate the first anniversary of burning down the house.

obstreperous-90,5-stubbornly resistant to control
I found my ordinarily obstreperous mule surprisingly eager to please.

invective-92,1-insulting or abusive language
Being quite unpopular, invective is commonly directed at me

No comments: