Monday, December 19, 2005

Two down, one to go

Hurrah! Contractz is done! My sleep schedule is seriously FUBAR, such that I got twelve hours of sleep two nights ago and didn't crawl into bed until 7:30am. Woke up fortuitously at 10:30am instead of 2pm as planned--fortuitous because I thought I had until midnight to turn in my take-home, but thanks to NYU's completely idiotic and counterintuitive information distribution system I didn't realize that I only had until 5pm. So my 8-hour exam turned into a 5.5-hour effort, but who the fuck cares? I threw up my hands and started working in a frenzy, got the questions done by 3pm, then realized I had exceed my word limit by 490 words and then spent the next hour and a half trimming out inessential words, making-improper-compound-hypenated-words where I could, making contractions where I could not couldn't, cutting out the articles at whim. Then I started axing whole paragraphs (Fuck this unconscionability analysis! Fuck this prolix turnaphrase!) and finally, at 4:30, finding my computer unbearable to look at, I turned in a shitty, unproofread draft of five silly answers. Who CARES?!! I'm done with the 'tractz, for now at least. Crossing my fingers and sending earnest silent prayers to the god of grades to make the curve bend in my favor. Now it's time to work toward flubbing Civ Pro...

After the marathon edit-fest, Lo and I took a jog around the reservoir. I felt like a million bucks, like a springbok, like Brad Pitt doing his totally unthreatening Achilles special-move leap in Troy. I coulda run for hours. Now that I'm more than halfway through I can taste the [gallons of tequila I plan on consuming] freedom. It's palpable. After this is through, I promise to 1) cut my nails, 2) cut my hair, 3) make amends, 4) make friends, 5) return my summer roll skin back to non-transparency, 6) read the six issues of New Yorkers mouldering on the bedstand, 7) read a coupla novels, 8) make my muscles huge, 9) visit my relatives in Flushing, etc. I'm getting excited by the prospects. Humanity...it looms!

[Now, still sallow, still long-fingernailed, she turns back to the books.]

No comments: