Tuesday, December 20, 2005

ANTS ARE CANNIBALISTIC MY DEAR HE WAS DINNER!

State of the state:

Spent the last 45 minutes in Morningside Park watching 60-70 pigeons doing loops between the big beautiful building with arched windows at 114th/Morningside Avenue/Manhattan and the tall, denuded beeches at the north end of the pond. Grey backs and white wings alternating, could've sworn it was morse code. They touched down on the rooftop but never stayed longer than a few seconds there; some spirited bird would inevitably lift off the eave and trigger another tour of the familiar circuit. I could hear them ducking and darting in the branches. Looked like fun.

Someone had exploded a coconut and thrown the meaty shells all over the frozen surface of the pond, which was itself lightning-cracked with all the thaws and refreezings. I can't tell if it was actually warm or if I had overdressed or if I'm just giving off delirium heat but now I'm back in my cave with a streak of sweat down my shirt. Now I'm going to tilt my head back and funnel lunch down my throat before starting, finally, to crack forum non conveniens.

No comments: