Tuesday, November 11, 2008

in love making love

The song I mentioned a few weeks back is finally up on my MySpace page. My friend Will D. wrote it and sang it, and I produced the music for it. The guitars sound cheesy and the dynamic balance is a bit off but I'm still pretty pleased with how we were able to work together with him in Oakland and me in Chicago. It worked like this: he did a rough recording with just voice and acoustic guitar on Garageband and sent me the MP3 so I could hear the song, the rhythm, and the chords. Then I did the instrumental parts on my eight-track based on what Will had sent me, and emailed him an AIFF file without vocal parts. Then Will lowered the pitch (because I'd recorded in a key that was too high for him to sing) in Garageband and recorded his vocals over it. And then he emailed me the MP3 of the completed song! How exciting is the Information Age?!

If you know Will, you should send him an email complimenting him on his amazing Barry White voice because he's a perfectionist and never thinks he does good enough.

No comments: