Sunday, November 02, 2008

i <3 my parents

Daughter: Where have you been? I've been trying to call your phone all day.
Father: Our phone lines are dead. There was a storm. PG&E.
Daughter: Oh.
Father: I know you say I only give you panic news, but you have to hear this news. It's not panic news. Your aunt's brother's friend was changing a lightbulb on a ladder with a screwdriver, and he slipped, and the screwdriver went through his eye. Now he only has one eye.
Daughter: Oh my God.
Father: You need your mother to say this to you because you think I only give you panic news. [hands phone to mother]
Mother: Your aunt's brother's friend was changing a lightbulb on a ladder with a screwdriver, and he slipped, and the screwdriver went through his eye. Now he only has one eye.
Daughter: I understood the story the first time. Are you going to vote?
Mother: I already voted. 
Daughter: Who did you vote for? 
Mother: Obama. [Father takes over phone]
Father: Yes, we voted for Obama, but we also voted no on Proposition 8.
Daughter: That's wonderful news.
Father: That would prevent homosexual education in high school.
Daughter: No, it's gay marriage.
Father: Whatever.
Daughter: I'm glad you voted against it.
Father: I have been talking to a colleague who says he will vote yes because he votes however his church tells him to vote.  I have been trying to talk to him. Maybe he will change his mind. You have to be careful. It's so hostile. I have to change his mind so you can live with freedom.
Daughter: I am very happy to hear you say that. 

No comments: