Thursday, November 06, 2008

change.gov

President Obama's (man I love writing that) transition website is up. It's nothing fancy but there are a few things that caught my attention.

The resolution on my monitor looks a little funky but you can still see the continuation of the clean, clear Barack Obama school of design - Prairie School of Graphic Design?? The page is modular and predictable. The banner at the top has not only the title and Presidential seal but also a simple way to sign up to get email updates from the Administration-elect (almost wrote "campaign" there). The rest of the page is a 70-30 split between two columns: squibs on the left, links on the right. The eye is drawn where it should be drawn - to the substantive information in the wider column. The second article asks for suggestions from citizens on how to improve government - a nice gesture and WTF it's new America with a corporate identity! The blue background on this page is a deeper hue than the campaign website, for solemnity, I guess. The designers seem to have abandoned the "change" font (Gotham) for the more a more Presidential serifed font that I don't recognize but I guess is the official font of the President since whitehouse.gov looks the same. I'm not a fan of the crimson box that is currently at the top of the page, though. This is not the most gorgeous or innovative website but I am impressed that (1) there is a website at all (Transparency in government! What a nice change.) and (2) that it conveys lots of information without being too cumbersome. I have done drank the Kool-Aid.

1 comment:

crankypants said...

oh i love your blog bananarchist!