Friday, February 13, 2009

bits

Just some favorites from the day. New recipes from a dear friend:
For salad dressings, I generally wing it. My absolute favorite includes olive oil (the slightly more expensive trader joe's variety), rice vinegar, grated sweet onion (like vidalla or walla walla), grated apple (using the small holes of the box grater), soy sauce, and a touch of sugar. If you're the type that requires exact breakdowns, here's my best guess: 1/4 cup rice vinegar; 1 tablespoon grated sweet onion; 1/4 cup finely grated peeled Gala apple; 4 teaspoons soy sauce; 1 teaspoon sugar; 3 tablespoons olive oi. An easier one is olive oil, rice vinegar, white wine vinegar and then a squeeze of lemon over the salad and a sprinkling of sea salt. If you make your salad the night before but don't dress it until you eat it (hence the nestling ikea containers), you won't have soggy salad. But of course, you know this.
Wow! GRATED APPLES! Then some lessons in anatomy from a pervert doctor I know:
i love mnemonics too! but, yes, they don't stick at all. i DO remember the really scandalous and sexy ones though... ah, my ABSOLUTE favorite one... the 12 cranial nerves in order: OOOTTAFVGVAH... Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel eVery Girls Vagina, Ah, Heaven. i bet you'd learn your cranial nerves real well too after that one... (olfactory, optic, oculomotor, trochlear etc) i know them all, i swear.
For lunch I ate (1) one Krispy Kreme chocolate glazed donut covered in heart-shaped jimmies, (2) two s'mores, (3) part of a cheesecake that oddly had been cubed instead of sliced into wedges, and (4) a Dunkin Donuts munchkin powdered sugar jam donut that was in many respects indistinguishable from a golf ball. It's funny how Valentine's Day office treats are designed to break your heart - I mean really break it!

I just talked to two workers in the apartment next door to get my landlord Rod's cell phone number because he (the landlord) has been hiding from me. They indicated that they only spoke Spanish. I said, "Oh, NO PROBLEMO! Uhhh...tengo...el nombre...de Rod?" One worker wrote it down on a piece of paper so I felt very proud of myself for my mad Spanish skills. I plugged my little phrase into Google Translate to confirm that I had said
I have the name of rod?
Have a good George Washington's 277th Birthday, mein Pupse!

No comments: