Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I don't like whitey?

The last email they sent, on Friday, with the subject heading "Mandy dont like whitey":
Blackjewlove@aol.com to mhu

Mandy , the difference between your rant on white men and ours on chinese
delivery men is that your rant is not funny. It is mean spirited and unfunny.
This is just our opinion however. Others might find it hilarious and we will
defend your right to express it until our dying days. We love Eminem, Margeret
Cho, Howard Stern.50 cent, Richard Pryor and others facists detest.You started
the name calling in your initial e mail and continue to call us racist and
offensive. You however dont like to be told to chill This dialouge seems to be
going in a circle of name calling . Chill is meaner in your world then
racist.Ouch.You say you want to be respectful and kind. Apologize for your name calling
and we can go further. If not chill


I didn't write back. If New York has taught me only one thing, it's that it is no use arguing with crazy people. Let's just let Epstein and Hassan continue to sabotage their tired old act with ancient stereotypes, and they'll take care of themselves.

Meanwhile, Sarinya, who has been doing some fantastic writing on her blog about being the only Asian American woman FDNY firefighter-in-training, writes in to say:
I'm learning to stretch 1 3/4" hoselines at 50 psi. That translates to 180 gallons of urine per min. Say the word and it's on.

This is similar to my beef with the Mix Fest. and how they had their after-party at Otto's Shrunken Head and Tikki Lounge. To my horror, pratically everyone I knew in the "radical queer" scene was inside this bar, swilling tropical drinks out of the heads of polynesian gods. I spent the rest of the night arguing and having people tell me to "lighten up" and that I misinterpreted "suburban kitch" with "racism."

If the bar was a sambo-watermelon eating-type theme (also popular in the suburbs back in the day) would the same queer hipsters be in there boozin' and cruisin' it up? It's the sad state
of people not thinking and being insensitive towards asians. I've been arrested with people after a civil disobedience and overheard them making fun of the people in Chinatown as we
were being transported to the tombs.

I myself was invited to perform at Mix this year and was going to secretely perform as a comedic act that invloved calling them out with me in a coconut bra and hula skirt. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out with my crazy schedule. Maybe next year!

Have you tried bringing this to the attention of the $pread organizers? Just a thought.

Oh, I forgot to mention this...Epstein and Hassan: FUCK 'EM!


Thanks for all the people who wrote in to support and who wrote Epstein and Hassan with complaints.

In the meantime, I found an effective way to manage all the anger that I generated around this whole exchange: riverdancing! Nothing brings a smile to my face faster than a few slack-armed, stiff-legged high kicks. No bad feeling can survive a good jigging. Try it yourself!

No comments: