Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Insom-maniacal

The reason I was looking through my old journals (see the Jodie Foster post) was because I wanted to find evidence of my two weeks of insomnia a few years ago. Here it is:


day one
6pm arrive in boston
toss and turn


day two
7am-noon sleep
10pm-1am sleep
then toss and turn

day three
11am-2pm sleep
awake and productive
9pm-10:30pm sleep
toss and turn

day four
until the present minute! where i am a crazy bat! i am starting to see shit.

Twelve hours of sleep in four days was HOT! HOT! HOT! I felt like a freak and I stayed up all night listening to Iron & Wine hoping that Sam Beam would be my soporific.

Now it is two years later, and I am still insomniac.

As promised, here is my live colonoscopy camera: I am thinking about Kenneth Peasley and Karl Rove's moral compasses, and how the angles of declination for these spots in Tucson and Washington, D.C. seem to be so obtuse. I am thinking about fast-twitch muscles and the empty space adjacent to my office where I spent fifteen agonized minutes today doing roundhouse kicks and push-ups in an effort to shake the cubicle-ache out of my bones. I am thinking about how a photograph of a woman standing on her head,



naked except for opera gloves and chintzy bracelets and thigh-high sheer stockings and red Dorothy heels, might be used to sell Christian Dior sunglasses--is it a poupée-ification



suggesting necrophilic (and therefore unresisting) possibilities? I am thinking about why it takes some people three minutes to respond to my emails and others three weeks, and what that says about me. I am thinking about the size of my biceps, which I always seem to overestimate.



I am also thinking about how goddamn long it takes me to get tired.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Funny thing is that last night, when I had insomnia and sent you that 5am email, I too was listening to Sam Beam for exactly the same reasons. "The Creek Drank the Cradle" appears to have been recorded while Sam himself was asleep, so it should induce in us a similar state, no? I guess not so much.