Wednesday, April 22, 2009

trojans blow goats

When Shaw moved out of the apartment, she left several pounds of ground goat in the freezer. She had received the ground goat as part of her community-supported agriculture plan, wherein one pays a princely sum for a weekly delivery of small handfuls of radishes, unready squashes, and local mystery meats. The ground goat has been in the freezer since October.

Olympia's lovely gf (she laughs at everything I say - she has excellent taste!) was visiting this weekend, so culinary efforts in the household were ramped up. Last night at 6:30 I got this message from Olympia: "We're gonna make goat meatballs with pasta!"

I biked home and shared a meal of ground goat pasta with Olympia and her gf. There's nothing too exotic about eating goat, I mean, lots of people everywhere do. I was just excited that the frozen goat brick was finally out of the refrigerator. The goat was tasty! It's just that Olympia kept referring to the food as "goat balls," as in, "Would you like some more goat balls?" and "I guess I can just eat goat balls for lunch tomorrow because there are plenty of leftover goat balls."

Goat balls! MMM!

In 1997, there was some controversy in my high school newspaper over whether to publish an image of a prank played against a nearby high school whose mascot was the Trojans. Some kids had broken into the marquee and rearranged the letters in an athletics announcement to read: "TROJANS BLOW GOATS." I admired the resourcefulness of the pranksters, because "TROJANS BLOW GOATS" takes a bit of creative anagramming to discover! Lesser pranksters would have settled for "TROJANS SUCK" or given up if the letters weren't there. (The controversy was whether it was obscene to publish the photo of the marquee. Free speech eventually triumphed.)

There's probably some way to tie these two stories into the teabagging protests that made the news last week, but I am lazy, and you can connect the dots yourself.

No comments: