Sunday, February 24, 2008

how i am exactly like my dad

I called my parents last night at 1:30a while I took Boo for a trot around Sternberg Park. They were shocked that I was out walking so late but I told them that I could see entire families with little kids clutching balloons strolling around the park, which was true, because New York is the city that never sleeps. My dad said, "Watch out for the sex offenders!" and I said, "DAD! Amazing! Just ten minutes before I walked out the door I looked up my zip code on the sex offender registry to familiarize myself with the faces of rapists in the neighborhood!"

Then when I got back home, my dad put me on speakerphone and played on the piano the eight measures of the Richard Clayderman song that he has learned ("With both hands!"). He kept messing up and saying, "Oh! No, wait, that's not right!" He confessed he had spent the day practicing piano. Then I confessed I had spent the day practicing guitar and then put him on speakerphone and played the solo from "Killer Queen" for him and kept messing up and saying, "Wait! Wrong note!" My dad said, "I am very close to your mom but sometimes we need to have separate things - piano is my separate thing." And I wanted to scream, "YES! Guitar is my separate thing from Stephanie!!!" which is true, because this week she has been dissertating like crazy and all I can do is retreat to my jolly corner and very slowly play the solo from "Sweet Child o' Mine" over and over again.

Then we were both on speakerphone and I tried to play the melody of "Ave Maria" on guitar over the Richard Clayderman chords that my dad was playing in California, which didn't work. But then my mom sung the words to Teresa Teng's "The Moon Represents My Heart" while I played the chords on guitar, which did work and was pretty cool.

I think I tore my ACL. Can someone diagnose this throbbing pain on the backside of my left knee?

1 comment:

myshewasyar said...

my heart has been extremely warmed by this post