Wednesday, November 28, 2007

shorty you a tin

My cab from JFK to home was pulled over by cops (!) yesterday morning at Metropolitan Avenue right off the BQE because, allegedly, the cab driver took an illegal left turn at a no-left-turn intersection. This interaction, between a modestly-sized South Asian immigrant man and two gigantic late-30 something white men, both shaved bald, included such memorable moments as (1) the cops pulling up to the car and saying, "What the fuck are you doing?" (2) the cops demanding license and registration and saying "This picture doesn't look anything like you" (to which the cab driver responded, "Because I have a beard now") and (3) the cops' parting shot ("I'll see you in court. You should shave."). And bless you, Mr. Chaudry, you said, "You don't need to tell me what to do."

I spent a week in California with Stephanie over Thanksgiving. It was sunny, warm, and filled with friends, family, and commerce - the details can be filled in by imaginations familiar with the well-known tropes of American Thanksgivings. While many exciting, illuminating, and possibly heart-rending things occurred between Wednesday and Tuesday, I documented none of it, yet Stephanie and I managed to take about 30 pictures posing with my parents' talking "Head Be-Holder" skeleton pirate doll, a post-Halloween drugstore purchase that gyrates to a K.C. and the Sunshine Band song and drops its skull into its skeletal hands whenever K.C. sings "Get down tonight!" I will post pictures just as soon as I am able.

Back in New York now, stir-crazy and almost 30!

No comments: