Wednesday, July 11, 2007

documentary fetish

So I'm obviously someone obsessed with remembering and documenting the recent past, as a lifetime of frantic journaling and several years of blogging will attest to. I'll do it in any medium and genre, but my favorite way to document places and people is to draw bird's-eye blueprints of a specific moment in time in a specific place - usually just an apartment, but sometimes cities and walking paths too.


Anyway, I just spent four days making Stephanie a scrapbook and the final page of it is a blueprint of our apartment as it was on the evening of June 29, 2007. I'm attaching pics here because it took me forever to do and I'm worried that USPS will lose the whole damn thing in transit and all my work will be lost. The jpeg doesn't capture much detail but you get the point of it. If you hunch over enough to cover the whole page and sit with your back to the door, it's also a fantastic way to look busy at work while actually spending the whole day drawing.

3 comments:

Raj said...

Did you draw this all in ink? I would love to see a series--your dad at work, your house in PalAl, etc. It's really great.

Bananarchist said...

Yeah, it's all done with a 005 Pigma Micron archival pen with a 03 pen for the thick lines. I have a couple of 2092 Eighth Avenue and two apartments in Paris and a car during a family vacation to Las Vegas, but they're all floating around in different journals in different states and/or lost. You should try it - it's really fun!

ultramaricon said...

one of those instances i wish my laptop was wider than 12 inches. there's a penis joke in there.