Tuesday, June 26, 2007

so so shy does 4 non blondes

Just a sample of our show - I'm really distracted by fondness now.



I'm leaving whenceforth I came in four days, for the rest of the summer. I'm sure my dad is frantically applying the wet-vac to the carpet in what was once my room, to make sure that my dog has a clean patch of 30 year-old carpet to soil with his black dander, and my mom is being forced by him to buy cereals and fruit that I will never eat. I haven't packed my room up but I've sublet it to a nice boy who just graduated from Bard College who wants to be a bike messenger or a journalist or a freegan, he isn't sure which. I remember feeling like that, like one had options, so I chose him over the anti-union NYU grad (20 years old and going to law school? NO!) and the nice but unfortunately too-tall (for such a small space) graphic designer, because Bard boy's face was kind and open and he seemed not too disturbed by the fact that I have one thousand earthworms eating rotting apple cores in a box outside my door. I am dallying in my day job, which for most of the summer has consisted of surfing the Internet and occasionally reading linguistics reports about locative phrases, and dreaming of my ideal night job, which of course would be playing music with So So Shy.

I guess it's the end of the summer, Part I, so it's time to be melancholic and reflective in my blog, or just facetious about nostalgia. But really I feel fantastic, strong, healthy, and happy. The way that I've always visualized my happiness and health is that I feel like I can jump really high, lifting my legs up to my chest like a skateboarder doing an ollie, fast and flexible. I feel like that now, and it's wonderful to finally emerge from an incredibly taxing year and a half of alternating depression and exhaustion, from feeling desperately insecure about my friends, my housing situation, my career, my long-term financial solvency, my lover, my ability to provide enough exercise to my border collie mutt, my brain, my grades, etc. - to emerge from that feeling like I could jump up and over a tall cyclone fence if I needed to. Like leaping and border-crossing all at once! Unbeatable! I'm bobbing like a saltwater buoy!

I'm also glad to have ended the New York portion of the summer with a blowout weekend that left me so so tired but exhilarated. For this I have Stephanie, Raj, David, John, Will, Mustafa, Naomi, Will, Amy, Andre, Andrew, and especially my dear sweet cousin and new friend Jennifer to thank. I'm feeling a bit like what I imagine my subletter must feel like, filled up with a sense of possibility and a blind trust that the creativity of the people around me will keep me, us, everyone interesting and interested. What is this frothy goo I'm writing? I must still be on drugs.

No comments: